- Title and Drawing (15 points possible)
- Have a colorful drawing of the missions. The "title" of your brochure is the name of your mission.
- In your paragraphs, include mission facts:
- When was the mission founded? When was it built?
- Who was the founder?
- What number in the chain was it?
- Why were there bells? How many?
- Does your mission have any special features?
- Has the mission been renovated?
- Map of California Mission Trail (15 points possible)
- On a map of California, mark and label your mission.
- Mark and label towns, cities, or presidios near your mission.
- Label the El Camino Real.
- In your paragraphs, include information, such as:
- Where is the mission located?
- How long did it take to build the mission? Why?
- Why were the missions built "one day's walk" apart?
- Why were missions built near the ocean?
- Was it important to have fresh water nearby?
- Is your mission located near a presidio? Why were there presidios?
- What cities or towns are near the mission?
- Father Serra and the History of the Missions (15 points possible)
- Have a picture of Father Serra at the top of page 3.
- Write a paragraph about Father Serra's childhood.
- Who was he? Where was he from?
- What was his role in building the missions?
- Write a paragraph about Father Serra's traits and beliefs that caused his founding of the missions.
- What did he want to teach the Indians?
- Write a paragraph about why the spanish wanted these missions built.
- What were the economic reasons?
- What were the political reasons?
- What did the Spanish do to make sure that the missions were being run according to Spanish rule?
- Describe in 1 paragraph how the economy of California changed from a hunter/gatherer economy to an agricultural economy because of the Franciscan padres.
- Daily Life (15 points possible)
- In the first paragraph, explain in detail, a day in the Indians' lives on the mission.
- What were some of the Indians' jobs at the mission?
- Where did the Indians live?
- Did they have any freedom?
- Did they have any liesure (fun) time, if so, what did they do?
- How were the Indians buried?
- Describe the lives of the non-natives:
- What did the padres (priests) do all day?
- What did the soldiers do at the mission? At the presidio?
- Where did the Mexican travelers stay?
- Include pictures or artwork with your paragraphs.
- Floor Plan and Industry (15 points possible)
- Draw a diagram of your mission's floor plan. Label each part.
- In paragraphs, include the following:
- Describe the outside design. Why do you think it is a quadrangle shape? Write about this.
- What materials were used to build the mission?
- Tell about the tools that were used at the mission.
- In other paragraphs, include information about major crops:
- What were the major crops?
- What else was grown?
- What kinds of trees did they have?
- What foods did they eat?
- Did they raise animals? Tell about them.
- Write about the industries at the missions.
- What products did they make and sell?
- Three Interesting Facts + Bibliography (15 points possible)
- What are three facts that made your mission special?
- Include illustrations to go with your facts.
- Put the bibliography on the bottom half of this section.
- Keep a list of all the books/internet sites that you used to help you write your report. I will give you the format for the bibliography.
- Neatness, Spelling, and Creativity (10 points total)